Monday, May 17, 2010

No. 82: Royal Bangs

Royal Bangs is an electro-rock band from Knoxville, TN. The group started off as a 5-member band, but has trimmed its size down to 3 for this summer's festival circuit. It's difficult to pin down a certain style for this band, but all I know is that I think I like them. Most songs feature catchy guitar riffs along with electronic beats and noises. In an interview with spinner.com, frontman Ryan Schaefer describes the band's sound as "easy shred computer jam."

I definitely want to check this band out at Lollapalooza. I think they have the musical elements to be an entertaining live act (high-energy beats, catchy hooks, room for improvisation, etc.). There aren't many videos of Royal Bangs' live performances out there that I could find, so I'm not sure how they will be live, but I'd like to give them a chance.

Check out the first three songs -- "War Bells" and especially "My Car is Haunted" and "Brainbow" -- on their Myspace page. Definitely digging them. All three are on their most recent album, Let It Beep.

No comments:

Post a Comment