Saturday, May 29, 2010

LCD Soundsystem at Metro, 5/26/2010

It was a packed house last Wednesday at the Metro in Chicago for LCD Soundsystem. James Murphy and co. made the crowd wait it out for a bit before taking the stage, but once they did, it was one big party.

LCD opened with one of my favorites from their Sound of Silver album, "Us v Them." I like this tune as an opener, as it sets the tone for a high-energy set and gets the crowd into the show right off the bat. When the bass kicked in and the disco ball started spinning, I had a good feeling this would be a great show.

Heading into the show, I was anticipating hearing mostly newer songs, with a heavy dose from LCD's recently released This is Happening. However, they only played four songs from that album -- "Drunk Girls," "Pow Pow," "All I Want," and "I Can Change." Of the four, I'd say "Pow Pow" was my favorite, but as a whole, I thought the new material didn't match the older stuff. It wasn't terrible, but I feel like the new songs could use a little work to smooth out some of the rough edges.

The songs from the group's first two albums sounded great, and the crowd seemed most into "All My Friends" and "Daft Punk is Playing at My House." Other highlights of the show, for me, included an extended version of "Yeah" (along with a kick-ass light show), "Someone Great," and "Losing My Edge."

The closing song of the encore -- "New York I Love You But You're Bringing Me Down" -- left me a little disappointed. For one, I don't really like the song. Also, in general, I don't like when bands close with slow songs. I like things to go out with a bang. Something like "One Touch" or "Home" off the new album would have been better, I think. But I can't really complain. The show, as a whole, was really excellent. Can't wait to see them again at Pitchfork this summer.

Setlist:

1. Us v Them
2. Drunk Girls
3. Yr City's a Sucker
4. Pow Pow
5. Daft Punk is Playing at My House
6. All I Want
7. All My Friends
8. I Can Change
9. Tribulations
10. Movement
11. Yeah (Crass version)

Encore:
12. Someone Great
13. Losing My Edge
14. New York I Love You But You're Bringing Me Down

No comments:

Post a Comment