Thursday, May 13, 2010

No. 86: Dragonette

Canadian power-synth-pop- whatever band, Dragonette are one of those bands that I'm not quite sure what to think of them. While their music isn't as bad as I thought it would be, it still has the feel of being tailor made for one of those "Confessions of a Shopaholic" movies or even the Disney Channel. The band is currently made up of Martina Sobara (vocals), Dan Kurtz (bass), and Joel Stouffer (drums). Not sure who the other guy in the picture is, but I'm sure he said "Fuck this" a while back and left the band (If I had my guess, I'd say it was the poor sap in the back that looks like someone ran over his dog). Dan Kurtz is also known for his work in the kickass livetronica band The New Deal, a band that I'm actually quite fond of.... So I guess they got that going for them... I'm not sure when Kurtz elected to make Dragonette his main gig, but I just want to scream "WHY!?!" Since founding Dragonette, Kurtz has gone on to make one album with the band, 2007's Galore, as well as an EP, 2009's Fixin to Thrill and has been focused on creating sugary poppy songs with Sobara that draw from one night stands ("I Get Around") to sugar daddies ("Black Limousine"). Sobara has a nice voice, but it walks a fine line between Britney Spears and Gwen Stefani. Because of the subject matter of most of the songs, Dragonette comes off sounding like a poor man's Lady Gaga with none of the grace or warmth displayed by other female fronted electronic bands such as Zero 7 or Portishead. I can see a lot of Gaga fans being amped for this show, but I will most likely be far far away once they hit the stage...


No comments:

Post a Comment