Friday, May 28, 2010

No. 71: HEALTH

HEALTH is a noise rock/electronic rock band from Los Angeles. I would describe them as a classic example of a "weird" Pitchfork band: Part Animal Collective, part Dan Deacon, part No Age, part Crystal Castles. Since I've been known to enjoy all of those groups to a certain degree, a likely conclusion would be that I enjoy HEALTH. However, they don't exactly blow me away. (Side note: I'm kind of annoyed that their band name is written in all caps.)

I haven't listened to HEALTH a ton, so there's a possibility that they could grow on me. I caught some of their act at the Pitchfork Music Festival in 2008 and was not very impressed. Very loud and chaotic, which I realize is their thing, but it was not working for me early on a Sunday afternoon. I do like some of the building progressions on some of their tunes, but it's not enough to hook me, exactly. I'd probably be willing to give these guys another chance at Lollapalooza this year if they have a favorable time slot, but I'm not going to go out of my way to see them.

HEALTH on MySpace

No comments:

Post a Comment