Sunday, May 9, 2010

No. 90: Jukebox the Ghost


Washington D.C.-based Jukebox the Ghost is a three-person piano-driven rock band. The band's name originated from a combination of a Frank Zappa quote and the book "Pnin" by Vladimir Nabakov.

Because Jukebox the Ghost's songs are piano-based, many people draw obvious comparisons to Ben Folds. I'd say that's fairly accurate, but they don't sound completely alike by any means. Songwriting and vocals are shared by Ben Thornewill (piano) and Tommy Siegel (guitar), so the band has a nice balance that keeps things from becoming dull.

The group released their debut LP Let Live and Let Ghosts in 2008 and they have a yet-to-be-named album set to be released this summer. I'm not sure I would check these guys out at Lollapalooza. I don't think they're terrible, but they don't blow me away either. There will probably be better options. However, I'd be interested to check out their new album to see how (if) the band has evolved from their first effort.

Jukebox the Ghost on Myspace

No comments:

Post a Comment