Saturday, May 22, 2010

No. 78: The Kissaway Trail

The Kissaway Trail is a five-piece band from Odense, Denmark. The first thing you want to do when describing this band's sound is compare them to some other band. Take your pick: Broken Social Scene, Modest Mouse, Flaming Lips, The National...

Many people compare this band to Arcade Fire, and I agree in certain aspects. Kissaway Trail songs definitely have an "epic" feel to them at times, similar to Arcade Fire, with big crescendos and soaring vocals. But I think to say the band is a complete Arcade Fire rip-off would be unfair. (Even though they have a song called "Don't Wake Up.")

The group has one album released in the U.S -- Sleep Mountain. It was produced by Peter Katis, who has previously produced albums for The National and Interpol. Highlights include "SDP" and "Friendly Fire."

Despite their not-very-original sound, I like what I hear from this band, and I think there's a definite possibility that I would go see them at Lollapalooza this summer. So I guess this brings up the same debate we ran into with Freelance Whales -- should a band be punished just because they sound like some other band? I think this band's emotional sound would make for a good, short set at Lolla, and I'm looking forward to it.

Kissaway Trail on MySpace

No comments:

Post a Comment