Tuesday, May 25, 2010

No. 74: Javelin


For Brooklyn's Javelin, life is all about samples, samples, samples. Best buds george Langford and Tom VanBuskirk are all about creating an original mix of R&B flavored beats with just the push of a few buttons, and hey, maybe I'm oversimplifying that, but I'm pretty sure that's what it boils down to.... They can probably best be described as a mix between Major Lazer and LCD Soundsystem. There are a few songs from their debut No Mas that shape up to be pretty tight little house-style ditties, but some of their other songs are a little too all over the place for me (Picture a more modest Dan Deacon). Figure all the ADD beats in with a Myspace that is an epileptic person's nightmare, and you'll get a pretty big picture of what Javelin is all about. I do have to say that the track "Soda Popinski", a fresh take on the theme song of the infamous opponent from Mike Tyson's Punch Out! from their Myspace page is pretty cool. Also, check out the remix of the Health song "In Heat" they got up there. I don't know.... I think these guys might put on a pretty good show, but right now it seems like more style over substance to me. You might want to check them out if you prefer laptop heavier bands that look like they are busting their asses to finish a spreadsheet in Excel onstage.

No comments:

Post a Comment