Wednesday, June 17, 2009

2009 Lollapalooza schedule

The 2009 Lollapalooza schedule was announced today. I'm fairly pleased with the distribution of bands, although I think Sunday is kind of weak. And I'm only seeing one major conflict so far. Here are a few thoughts:


Friday, August 7

The good: Friday is solid-looking. Hockey, Manchester Orchestra, Amazing Baby, and Bon Iver will make for a busy first half of the day. The second half is a little less exciting. I'll probably try to catch Fleet Foxes, Andrew Bird, and Kings of Leon (as long as they're not playing all songs off their latest album). Bands I would like to see, but not sure if I'll make it: The Builders and the Butchers and Of Montreal.

The bad: Manchester Orchestra kind of got hosed on their timeslot, although they are playing on a mainstage this year. Better hope it doesn't take over an hour to get into Grant Park this year. Amazing Baby only get 45 minutes. Headliners are pretty weak. I have no desire to see Depeche Mode, so if KOL is sucking I don't know what I'm going to do.


Saturday, August 8

The good: This day probably has the most number of bands that I'm really excited to see. Nice to see Joe Pug get a sweet mid-afternoon slot. I'm really happy Animal Collective has a later timeslot, so hopefully they'll have a cool light show. Also, AC isn't in a conflict with anyone I want to see. (I don't care about Ben Harper.) No conflict for TV on the Radio either. Best headliners, but since they're playing at the same time that's kind of a bad thing (see below).

The bad: Ezra Furman has a way-early slot, so I'll probably miss that. No Age and Hercules and Love Affair DJs are playing at the same time -- I'd like to see both. After the lineup was released, I decided the only headliners I was interested in were Beastie Boys and Tool. I'm really torn on who to see. I've never seen either band, I like both bands, but I'm not in love with either of them either. This'll probably be a gametime decision.


Sunday, August 9

The good: Looking forward to Portugal. The Man, Passion Pit, and Band of Horses.

The bad: This day doesn't really blow me away. I have no interest in the headliners, and there's a potential conflict with Deerhunter and Lou Reed. Kind of wish Ra Ra Riot wasn't playing so early, but I can understand why they are.

1 comment:

  1. Yes OD, once again Manchester Orchestra gets screwed, were going to make sure we get there real early this year.

    Pumped mostly for Saturday as well, Delta Spirit, Joe Pug, Blind Pilot, Tv on the Radio, Animal Collective, and Tool. It will be a good day.

    Sunday, real excited for Portugal. The Man, Dan Auerbach, Band of horses, not too excited about the headliners.

    ReplyDelete