Friday, June 5, 2009

No. 63: Constantines

Upon first listens of Constantines from Ontario, one gets the feeling that they are a bit of an acquired taste. The two guitarists in the band, Steve Lambke and Bryan Webb, share vocal duties and their style can best be described as a breathy, scratchy drawl not completely unlike Bruce Springsteen. Their latest, Kensington Heights, goes from almost prog-y power punk on "Hard Feelings", to synth laden rock on "Credit River", back to dreary dive bar ready numbers like "Million Star Hotel" and "I Will Not Sing a Hateful Song." This band is a little hard to pin down, and I'd probably enjoy them if they were a little more melodic. If I had to compare them to another band, that band would be Big Head Todd and the Monsters.... A band I'm not too keen on to begin with.

So if you haven't guessed, this band isn't going to be on my list of shows to see at Lolla, but don't let me stop you:


No comments:

Post a Comment