Friday, June 12, 2009

No. 56: Amazing Baby

Amazing Baby is a psych rock band from Brooklyn. They're part '80s, part Pink Floyd, part Ween, and part something totally unique. And I have to say it -- I think they're pretty ... Amazing.

They attended Wesleyan University with the guys from MGMT. Coincidentally (or maybe not), they sound similar as well. Comparisons aside, I think Amazing Baby are better.

Their upcoming album, "Rewild" will be released June 23. You can check it out right now on their Myspace page too. The album is great as a whole. The first six tracks are all interesting, different sounding from each other, and must-listens.

Probably my favorite aspect of the band is that their songs don't all sound the same. The songs aren't as different as, say a collection of Ween songs, but it's kind of along those lines. Just when you think you've figured out their sound on "Rewild" they bust out "The Narwhal," a spacy, acoustic, almost-tribal-sounding song.

As a funny side note, not long ago, the members of the band were actually working for a ringtone company. From an interview on clashmusic.com: "We all worked at a ringtone company. We were sitting around making ringtones for Indiana Jones theme songs, but we really wanted to record. Once we were pretty sure we wouldn’t starve to death if we quit our day jobs, we did,” O’Connor (guitarist) says. “Quitting my job ruled. I took my boss aside and said, ‘I’m going to be a professional musician now, you’ll see.’ It was great. Yo, check this out: I’m at work right now, and I’m in my underpants, smoking a cigarette and cooking food. That’s great.”

I'll be checking these guys out at Lolla. If you're in the Chicago-area, you can go see them at Park West tomorrow (June 13). I'm interested to see if these guys will be this year's MGMT. I'm predicting they'll make an even bigger impact.

Official site

2 comments:

  1. Good review, OD! Rewild is the bomb, dude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, the album is out right now on iTunes

    ReplyDelete