Sunday, June 21, 2009

No. 47: Fleet Foxes

Fleet Foxes is a folk rock group from Seattle. At first listen, they draw obvious comparisons to the likes of My Morning Jacket and Band of Horses (at least vocally). Musically, however, they have an "older" sound -- something much wiser and mature than the 20-somethings that make up the band.

They released their debut full-length album last year. Read my initial review of it here. Almost exactly a year since I wrote that review, I still think the album is great. I look forward to hearing what these guys have in store for the future.

Now, Fleet Foxes put out this outstanding album with great harmonizing vocals, and it made me think the band would have a difficult time re-creating the sound in a live setting. But that couldn't be further from the truth. I saw Fleet Foxes twice last year -- once in a festival setting, once in a club setting. They sounded great both times, absolutely nailing the vocals and soul of the music.

If there was one complaint I had for the live shows, it's that the setlist was very similar both times. But when a band only has one album and an EP, I guess I can't complain. I really hope they've been cooking up some new tunes this past year -- but I'd still probably be content to see more of the same from them this year at Lolla. I'd definitely recommend checking them out.

Fleet Foxes on Myspace

No comments:

Post a Comment