Monday, June 15, 2009

No. 53: Chairlift

Chairlift is a three-person synth-pop band from where it seems like every new indie band is from: Brooklyn. They're fronted by Caroline Polachek, who also plays keyboard. She has a pleasant voice, but not one that's ground-breakingly unique or anything. Guitarist Aaron Pfenning also chimes in occasionally, which I feel takes away from the strength of the band (Polachek).

Chairlift is probably best known for their single "Bruises," which appeared on an iPod commercial. The song is poppier than most of the songs on their album "Does You Inspire You," release in September 2008. Most of the songs are crawling, quiet, and kind of boring, in my opinion. I do like the song "Earwig Town," but other than that, I'm not really that drawn to any of the tunes. So if you're in the mood for something kind of mellow, with hints on '80s synths, this might be right up your alley. I don't think this will be something I go out of my way to see at Lolla this year.

Chairlift on Myspace

Official site

No comments:

Post a Comment