Sunday, June 7, 2009

No. 61: Friendly Fires


Friendly Fires, out of England have grown on me a little. When I first listened to them, it seemed like they were little more than a synth pop act in the same class as Duran Duran. Over time I have grown accustomed to certain songs off their self-titled debut like "White Diamonds", and the breakout hit, "Jump In The Pool". While songs like "Paris" from the same album give me douche chills (Someday we're gonna live in Pars/ I promise, I'm honest), the tracks that I do like have a frantic, multi-percussion layered groove complete with slap bass. Case in point, the totally funked out "On Board" where the call and response main line of the song is repeated collectively by all three members until it becomes stuck in your head. While the songs of Ed MacFarlane, Jack Savidge, and Edd Gibson don't really have much to say, they create a fun party vibe and would do any club DJ a service by having them on hand.

If these guys have a favorable slot, I might check them out at Lolla, but I can't see myself going out of my way.

Friendly Fires' Myspace

No comments:

Post a Comment