Thursday, June 4, 2009

No. 64: Ezra Furman and the Harpoons

"I wrote this song in a paper bag!", exclaims Ezra Furman on "We Should Fight", the song that kicks off Inside The Human Body, the Boston band's latest album. While that's more than likely not true, the band knows a thing or two about writing and recording songs in cramped places. The band's first album, Beat Beat Beat is said to have been recorded in various dorm rooms at Tufts University, a process that seems like it could have been a factor on Inside The Human Body. The album has a very jangly, raw air about it, complete with Furman's shaky vocals and harmonica squalls-a-plenty. The Flaming Lips and Violent Femmes influences are extremely palpable on songs like "The Stakes Are High" and their radio hit "Take Off Your Sunglasses". There's even some touches of Daniel Johnston in there. However, the band makes this style their own as shown on "Springfield, IL" where Furman's floaty almost operatic voice laments "This big bad world makes me want to vomit/I can feel my soul escaping out my mouth." Seems as though Ezra and I have a common thread as that is a thought I too share when thinking about the state capital lately...

I think this is gonna be a show I see at Lollapalooza if only to see how a guy that looks like Ezra can sound like Wayne Coyne and Gordon Gano are partying in his voice box.






No comments:

Post a Comment