Tuesday, June 23, 2009

No. 45: Kaiser Chiefs

Kaiser Chiefs are a rock group from Leeds, England. They have released three albums -- the most recent "Off With Their Heads" in October 2008. I bought this album last year after reading a very positive review in Paste magazine (91 out of 100). I don't think I would recommend it this highly, but it has its moments.

You can read a previous review I wrote on the album here. The album has kind of fallen out my play rotation recently, but I still like some of the tunes. (The jam at the end of "You Want History" is guiltily good.)

I've never seen this band live in person, but I did happen to catch a performance on the Palladia channel recently. I was not very impressed. Their songs fell kind of flat in front of a big crowd, and I fear more of the same from them at Lollapalooza. I probably won't be checking them out. But I could see myself stopping for a quick lesson, hoping to hear a few of their catchy songs that I don't want to admit I enjoy.

Their name comes from a South African soccer club. Does anyone else get a "Almost Famous" vibe from this picture?

Kaiser Chiefs on Myspace

Official site

No comments:

Post a Comment