Saturday, June 20, 2009

No. 48: Ra Ra Riot

Ra Ra Riot is a six-member pop rock band from Syracuse, NY. In addition to the traditional drums, bass, guitar setup, the band features an electric violin player and an electric cello player. I'd say their sound is a mix of Arcade Fire and Vampire Weekend.

The group only has one full-length album -- "The Rhumb Line," which was released August 2008. The album has a hint of sadness to it, thanks to the haunting strings and soft lyrics. "The Rhumb Line" was co-written by former drummer John Ryan Pike. Pike was found dead after one of their shows in 2007. This story also adds to the sad feeling of the album.

The album received favorable reviews, but I think it's a little overrated, partially because of what happened to Pike. I'll be interested to see how this band's future albums turn out and if their success continues. However, even though I'm not enamored with their album, I do think they're a great live band. I saw them play at the Double Door last year and they were incredible. I had never heard of them before, but thought that with a name like Ra Ra Riot, they would most likely be lame. But about 15 seconds into their first song, I knew these guys were for real. On stage, they jump around, smiling, having a blast. I recommend seeing Ra Ra Riot live if you can (especially to see their cello player).

Here's a blog written by Pike's mother as a tribute to his life.

Ra Ra Riot on Myspace

Official site

No comments:

Post a Comment