Sunday, June 14, 2009

No. 54: Gang Gang Dance

Gang Gang Dance is an experimental band from New York. Think Animal Collective with a female singer. They use a lot of loops and tribal percussion, giving the music a very "out there" feeling. But from what I've heard of the band, their songs don't really have much focus. They're kind of all over the place.

Being a big Animal Collective fan, I would have thought this would be a band I liked, but I just don't think I can give them my stamp of approval. I like weird music probably more than any other Claptrapped contributor, but this is even a little too weird for me. Maybe seeing them live would change my mind about them...

The band has had its share of bad luck. In 2002, original band member and multi-instrumentalist Nathan Livingston Maddox was struck by lightning and killed. And this past February, the band had to cancel an entire European tour after a fire destroyed their equipment. You can read a Myspace blog post on the fire here.

Gang Gang Dance on Myspace

No comments:

Post a Comment