Thursday, June 18, 2009

No. 50: Asher Roth


Asher Roth is a white suburban rapper, not to paint him into a corner. He may have more to give and on his first album he flows well with the beats, as if I know what flow is, but the album focuses too much on a juvenile college theme. I hate to think I don't like this album because I've outgrown the subject matter. His most popular singles "I Love College" and "Lark on My Go-Kart" focus mainly on marijuana, but touch other subjects such as mario cart, teddy ruxpin, wii fit, keg stands and others that bring back memories of dorm rooms and house parties.

Asher is from a small town 20 miles Northeast of Philadelphia and is often compared to other "white rappers" such as Eminem and Atmosphere. He even has a song on his first album Asleep in the Bread Aisle called "As I Em" that focuses on the comparisons between him and Eminem. I like some of the songs individually but find them hard to take one after another. I hate to think my dislike comes from the fact I've outgrown most of the subject matter, I like to consider myself immature. I think Asher Roth has a lot of promise and has and easily distinguishable sound compared to the "white rappers" that came before him. One day in the future may put out a career defining album, I just hope this isn't it. I will probably avoid his stage at Lollapalooza fearing a break out of fraternity letters and natty light.


Asher Roth on MySpace

1 comment: